MCA – A Master of Computer Application is a postgraduate degree earned after completing a Bachelor of Computer Application or another computer-related bachelor’s degree. It is a professional degree that focuses on the creation of computer applications using modern programming languages. This is one of the greatest degrees for getting a career in the fast-growing Information Technology sector of the country.
If you’re thinking of getting an MCA, you should learn everything you can about it. Here’s where you’ll find all you need to know. The following article offers all the information students need about the Master of Computer Application degree, from course duration and eligibility to wages and benefits, to help you make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue the course.
What is MCA?
MCA is a three-year curriculum aimed at applicants who want to go deeper into the development of computer applications with the help of modern programming languages. Students enrolled in the Master of Computer Application programme are given the opportunity to design modern software using sophisticated tools and approaches. The programme is spread out across six semesters, with the first year emphasising computer skill development, the second year on a conceptual study framework, and the third year emphasising specialties and required project work.
MCA is a three-year curriculum aimed for people interested in delving deeper into the development of computer applications using modern programming languages. Aspirants enrolled in the Master of Computer Application programme are given the opportunity to create cutting-edge software using advanced tools and methodologies. Aspirants learn computer skills in the first year, a conceptual study framework in the second year, and specialities and required project work in the third year.
Why Choose MCA?
Here is given below some benefits to choose MCA Course.
- High demand in the industry
- Lucrative Package
- Career in reputed Companies
- High Salary
- On Trend
- Better Equipped for Future
MCA Course Duration
The MCA is a professional degree that provides students with knowledge equivalent to that of a computer engineer. The training is a superb blend of theoretical and practical knowledge. As a result, master’s programmes in Master of Computer Application last two years. It is split into four semesters. Aspirants will be well-versed in designing computer programmes in the newest computer languages, as well as managing and overseeing projects, by the end of the course.
MCA Course Eligibility Criteria
Students must first determine whether they are eligible to take the MCA course before proceeding. This training is not open to everyone.
To be qualified for an Master of Computer Application degree programme, you must meet the following requirements.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer application i.e. BCA is required.
- Most MCA programmes accept graduates from a variety of disciplines, including commerce, arts, science, and computer science.
- Aspirants must have completed more than half of your bachelor’s degree.
- Aspirants must have a grade point average of at least 55 percent in your 12th grade.
Required Skills for MCA
Here is given below the list of required skill for MCA.
- Strong technical skills
- Optimistic attitude
- Good communication skills.
- Updated about latest technology trends
- Good command over programming languages
- Problem solving ability
- Knowledge of data structure and database.
MCA Courses Admission Process
Once you’ve determined that you’re eligible for the MCA degree programme, the following step is to apply for admission. Students can apply for the Master of Computer Application programme in one of two ways. Here’s some more info about the application process.
Merit Based Admission
The majority of schools and universities offer merit-based admission.
- By completing an application form and submitting your bachelor’s degree documents, you can apply for the MCA programme directly.
- The college will publish a list of those who have been accepted.
- Once Aspirant’s name has been confirmed, They must pay the course fees to reserve your spot.
Entrance Based Admission
Aspirants are admitted to some institutes depending on their entrance exam scores.
- Fill out the application form and pay the fees to sit for the admission exam.
- Prepare for the admission exam and take it.
- You will be assigned a college after you receive your results. Based on your findings, you can also apply to the college of your choice.
- If the entrance exam is for a college, you will be admitted immediately if aspirants achieve the desired results.
- Aspirants must pay the costs in order to reserve your spot.
MCA Course Fee structure
MCA is a professional degree that qualifies you for a good career and a good wage. As a result, the costs for this master’s degree course are slightly more than those for other master’s degree programmes. The graph below is an average of several graphs.
- The average Master of Computer Application course fee ranges from 1 lakh to 3 lakhs.
Note – The fee charged by the college of your choosing may vary depending on a variety of factors.
MCA Entrance Exams
Here is given below the list of some popular Master of Computer Application Entrance Exam.
- APICET- Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test
- TANCET- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test
- UPSEE- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination
- MAH MCA CET- Maharashtra Master of Computer Applications Common Entrance Test
- NIMCET- National Institute of Technology Master of Computer Applications Common Entrance Test
- KMAT- Karnataka Management Aptitude
MCA exam Preparation Tips
Masters of Computer Applications (MCA) is an abbreviation for Master of Computer Applications. This is a masters degree in computer applications offered in India. Mathematics should be a subject in either 10+2 or graduate for those interested in MCA. Master of Computer Application entrance examinations are held for students seeking merit-based admission to the leading national institutes.
Here is given below some Master of Computer Applications Exam Preparation Tips.
- Exam preparation is essential. Begin preparing as soon as you decide to pursue an MCA degree. It will help you if you are familiar with the exam.
- The exam pattern should be understood. The paper is divided into three pieces. In order to achieve a high score, aspirants should devote equal time to each part.
- The first section assesses your ability to think critically. Such questions can be practised using question papers from previous years. There are also some good practise books on the market. Practicing these questions will help the aspirant develop a habit of answering them and sharpen his or her mind.
- The second segment contains mathematical ability questions, which applicants should thoroughly prepare by practising mental math questions.
- The candidate’s capacity to communicate is assessed in the third section. This, too, should be thoroughly exercised. These questions may appear simple, but they are challenging to tackle and require a great deal of effort and training to achieve the correct answer because they are so perplexing.
- In the final year of graduation, one might begin preparing for the MCA entrance exam. If you put in a good amount of time each day, say 5-6 hours, the overall preparation time will be less than 5 months.
- Because this exam has a unique format, it is recommended that you take a number of practise tests to obtain a full understanding of the exam.
- Aspirants should also bear in mind that the questions are quite perplexing, so they should keep track of their time. One of the most important factors in achieving success is time management.
- Aspirants should conduct extensive study to choose the best institutions and universities, as well as prepare for the specific exam. Various universities may have different requirements for MCA admission.
- Although one can enrol in a preparation institute, master of computer application preparation can be accomplished on one’s own with adequate instruction and perseverance.
If aspirants are doing a professional course like MCA, they will have to choose between specialties or electives. aspirants professional paths are determined by their specialities.
Here is a list of specializations aspirants can choose from during their master of computer application programmes.
- Master of Computer Application in Networking
- Master of Computer Application in Hardware Technology
- Master of Computer Application in Internet workings
- Master of Computer Application in Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Master of Computer Application in Application Software
- Master of Computer Application in Software Development
- Master of Computer Application in Systems Engineering
- Master of Computer Application in Systems Management
- Master of Computer Application in Systems Development
- Master of Computer Application in Troubleshooting
The MCA course syllabus has been divided into six semesters, each lasting six months.
1st year (Skill development in computers)
- Problem solving techniques using C
- Accounting and financial management
- Digital electronics and microprocessor
- Discrete mathematics
- C programming lab
- Accounting lab
- Data structures
- Database Management System
- Computer Networks
- Operating systems
- Data structure labs
- DBMS labs
2nd year (conceptual framework)
- File structures
- Object-Oriented Analysis and design using UML
- Theory of computation
- Statistical analysis
- File structures lab
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design using UML lab
- Soft core – Quantitative, Teaching and Research Aptitude.
- Advanced Java Programming
- Advanced Algorithms
- Advanced software engineering
- Quantitative techniques
- Advanced Java Programming Lab
- Advanced Algorithms Lab
- Soft core – Soft skills and Personality Development
3rd year (specialisations in project work)
- Advanced web programming
- Advanced database management systems
- Artificial intelligence
- Open elective
- Advanced web programming lab
- Mini project
- Elective – 1
- Elective -2
- Main project
MCA Higher Studies
After MCA, MS in Computer Science is one of the most sought-after programmes. The two-year professional degree programme allows you to specialise in a variety of areas such as hardware, architecture, software engineering, data science, and more, opening up a variety of job options. To pursue a master’s degree in computer science, you must meet the eligibility requirements, which include passing scores on language proficiency tests such as the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
India is the world’s IT capital. Our IT business continues to have the strongest growth rates year after year, offering job security and advancement for those who work in it. The majority of MCA graduates, if not all, find work in the IT business. As a result, given our country’s affinity for technology, this degree programme has a lot of potential in India. Furthermore, the MCA is a technical and professional degree, and people with this degree are difficult to replace.
MCA Job Profiles
Aspirants are invited to apply for the following positions.
- Software Developer
- Computer System Analyst
- Software Engineer or Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Software Publisher
- Software Application Architect
- Software Consultant
- Hardware Engineer
- Web Designer/Web Developer
- Senior Technical Consultant
- Project Manager.
MCA Top Recruiters
The following are the recruiters for all those who are complete their MCA.
- American Express
Isn’t it true that the most important factor in deciding on a career path is the pay? Of course, today’s situation is different, with children choosing their interest and even their parents supporting them to do so. However, money is still a big motivator, and those who are enthusiastic about MCA can make a decent life doing it.
An MCA graduate’s beginning pay ranges between INR 2.5 lakhs and INR 3.5 lakhs. His salary is more than most starting salaries, and with experience and progress, his earnings can skyrocket. Furthermore, because the majority of MCA graduates work in the IT business, the career advantages are outstanding.
Here is given below the list of Some reputed colleges and universities to pursue MCA course.
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- National Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology (BITS), Ranchi
- Pune University
- J.N.U – New Delhi
- V.J.T.I -Mumbai
- Goa University
- Gujarat MCA
- Loyola college – Chennai
- VIT University, Vellore
Frequently Asked Questions
The MCA degree takes three years to complete and is divided into six semesters. Applicants with a Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) or Bachelor of Science (B Sc) degree, on the other hand, can complete the MCA programme in two years.
Any graduate who has passed or is scheduled to sit for a final year degree test in any discipline (Science, Commerce, Arts, Engineering, or any other accredited university) is eligible to apply. Candidates must have taken mathematics in their 10+2 or any one year of graduation.
The Master of Computer Application (MCA) programme has been shortened from three to two years. The decision was made at the University Grant Commission’s (UGC) 545th Meeting in December 2019. MCA will be taught for two years beginning in the 2020-21 academic year.
Career Options After MCA
However, MCA is superior to B. Tech because it is a post-graduate degree programme, whereas B. Tech is a bachelor’s degree programme. Both courses have the same syllabus and cover the same ideas, although B. Tech CSE is a four-year undergraduate programme while MCA is a three-year post-graduate programme.