NID DAT 2023 – The DAT Preliminary exam & DAT Main exam are the two stages of the test. National Institute of Design is widely regarded as one of India’s premier design schools, competing with NIFT, FDDI, UID, and other prestigious design schools. Their track record of high-quality applicants and professors is unquestionable. Aspirants can read the article to learn more about the NID Design Aptitude Test & NID admission.
What is NID DAT?
The NID DAT (Design Aptitude Test) is a national-level entrance test that selects aspirants for admission to the prominent National Institute of Design (NID) campuses’ undergraduate and graduate design programmes. To be considered for admission to the Bachelor of Design (BDes) & Master of Design (MDes) programmes offered at the NID campuses, aspirants must pass two NID entrance examinations.
In Ahmedabad, India, the NID is a design school. NID is a scientific & industrial design research agency recognised by the Indian government’s Department Of Scientific Industrial & Research. National Institute of Design conducts the Design Aptitude Test every year which is conducted by the National Institute of Design itself and so that students can get admission in Post Graduate, Under Graduate and Diploma.
NID these topics are addressed and are as follows, where students get to learn a lot about design. Animation film design, Exhibition Design, Film and Video Communication, Graphic Design, Furniture and Interior Design, Product Design, and Textile Design.
NID DAT 2023 Important Links
All NID DAT Important Links for the better convenience of aspirants are the following.
|Official website||Click Here|
|B.Des Handbook||Click Here|
|M.Des Handbook||Click Here|
|Apply Now||Click Here|
|Login Portal||Click Here|
|Help desk||Click Here|
NID DAT 2023 Important Dates
The notification for the prelims test, as well as the whole schedule, has been released by the conducting body. The mains exam schedule will be released shortly after the prelims exam is completed. Aspirants must take careful note of all dates so that they do not miss any essential activities.
The dates for the festivities surrounding the NID DAT 2023 exam have been announced. Aspirants should check the table below for updates on a regular basis.
|Application Started||21 October 2021|
|Last date to apply without a late fee||December 22, 2021|
|Last date to apply with a late fee||December 25, 2021|
|Correction window opened||25 December 2021|
|Correction window closed||27 December 2021|
|Prelims Admit card released||02 January 2023|
|Prelims Exam Date||08 January 2023|
|Prelims Result declared||February 2022|
|Prelims exam recheck window||To be announced|
|Mains Admit card released||09 March 2023, 14 April 2023|
|Mains Exam Date||27 December 2023|
|Mains Result declared||May 2022|
NID DAT 2023 Courses Offered
Through NID DAT 2023, candidates can enrol in the following courses.
B.Des Courses offered
- Ceramic and glass design
- Furniture and interior design
- Graphic design
- Animation film design
- Product design
- Film and video communication
- Textile design
- Exhibition design
GDPD Courses offered
- Industrial design
- Communication design
- Textile and apparel design
Courses offered in M. Des
- Ceramic and glass design
- Animation film design
- Product design
- Photography design
- Textile design
- Toy and game design
- Graphic design
- Interaction design
- Apparel design
- Design for rental experience
- Furniture and interior design
- New media design
- Lifestyle accessory design
- Strategic design management
- Universal design
- Transportation and automobile design
NID DAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The exam authority has established some requirements for taking the exam. Before applying for the exam, aspirants should make sure they meet the NID DAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria. These eligibility criteria are critical for candidates to evaluate and verify because if they do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements, they will be ruled ineligible and their application forms will be regarded invalid. The eligibility criteria for NID DAT 2023 Bachelor and Master programmes are the following.
Bachelor of Design/GDPD
- Age Limit – Indian (Gen & Gen-EWS) and international aspirants applying for the B.Des course must be under the age of 20 at the time of admission (only those Aspirants who are born on or after 01 July 2002, are eligible to apply). Foreign nationals born on or after 01 July 2002 are eligible to take the exam.
- To be eligible for the NID DAT Exam, a candidate must be born after July 1, 1999, for SC/ST/OBC-NCL. People with disabilities who were born after July 1, 1997, are also eligible.
- Educational Qualifications – Candidates must have passed or be scheduled to sit for the final examination of 10+2 or equivalent from a recognised board (SSC/ICSE/CBSE) in 2023-22.
Masters of Design (M.Des)
- Aspirants born after July 1, 1992, both in India (Gen & Gen-EWS) and abroad, are eligible to apply for admission to NID. Indian citizens from reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC-NCL who were born after July 1, 1989, are eligible to apply. If you were born after July 1, 1987, you are eligible to apply for the NID DAT Exam as a PwD reserved student. Applicants must be foreign nationals who were born on or after July 1, 1992.
The following educational qualifications are required to meet the qualifying criteria.
- Aspirants must hold a four-year graduate degree in any specialisation after completing 10+2 or equivalent from an Indian university. For the document verification process, candidates must have completed their degree by May/June 2023. OR Aspirants with a Bachelor’s Degree in any specialisation after 12th grade or an equivalent qualification. The only stipulation is that they must pass the exam by June 20, 2023. OR a candidate who has completed a four-year full-time diploma in architecture, fine arts, applied arts, or design after completing 12th grade. He or she must complete the Diploma course by May/June 2023.
Aspirants must be Indian citizens and hold at least one of the following qualifications.
- A Master’s degree in Design is required. OR a bachelor’s degree in design from NID combined with three years of professional or teaching experience OR a Master’s Degree in Design with a focus on philosophy (e.g., M.Phil). OR successful completion of NID’s Faculty Development Program or a similar two-year design programme from another accredited university/institution.
- Note – Candidates who have not passed their final board test or equivalent before the in-person counselling will not be admitted. Aspirants should revisit this website on a frequent basis to stay up to date on any changes to the NID DAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria.
NID DAT 2023 Exam Pattern
To do well in the exam, aspirants need to be familiar with the NID DAT 2023 Exam Pattern. The exam evaluates the student’s inventiveness, reasoning abilities, and problem-solving abilities. The exam pattern will provide candidates with an overview of the types of questions and their placement throughout the question paper. It is critical that students read the information on the exam pattern provided below.
NID DAT B.Des Exam Pattern
- Stage 1 – NID Exam (Prelims) = Pen & Paper-Based Written Test
- Stage 2 – NID Exam (Mains) = Studio Test
The prelims exam will be worth 100 points and will last three hours. It’s possible that this test will have both graphics and text. The examination will be conducted in English and will be a pen-and-paper test.
Aspirants who pass the prelims round will be eligible to take the mains exam. The NID DAT Mains Exam will be placed across three days. This is a 100-point test that will be administered in a studio setting. This test is also conducted in English.
NID DAT M.Des Exam Pattern
Aspirants taking the NID DAT Exam for the M.Des programme must pass two levels of the exam, as shown below.
- Stage-I = DAT Prelims
- Stage-II = DAT Mains
The CDAT (Common Design Aptitude Test) plus a discipline-specific test will make up the DAT Prelims Test. The overall time allocated for the DAT Prelims is 2.5 hours (30 minutes for the CDAT + 2 hours for the discipline-specific test). Applicants applying for two disciplines will have to take two discipline-specific tests in addition to the CDAT. The overall exam time for such applicants would be 4.5 hours.
Aspirants will be shortlisted for DAT Mains based on their DAT Prelims scores. The DAT Mains exam is divided into two stages.
- Stage-I = Studio Test
- Stage-II = Interview
The studio test will be worth 100 points and will take three hours to complete. The exam will be conducted in English. Following the test, each discipline will have an interview. Interviews will be placed at the same testing centres as the studio tests.
NID DAT PhD Selection Stages
- Stage-I = Short-listing of candidates
- Stage II = Design Research Test (DRT)
- Stage-III = Interview
Short-listing of candidates will be the first stage. Aspirants’ research proposals will be scrutinised and examined in this round to ensure that they are in line with NID’s research objectives. Only the candidates who have been shortlisted will advance to the next round. DRT will be conducted at the following stage, which will be held in Ahmedabad. Qualifying candidates will next have their interview sessions in front of the NID committee following this phase.
Note – Aspirants taking the Mains exam will not be provided with any travel or lodging by the exam authorities. The candidates should organise it themselves.
For different courses, the weighting of the NID DAT Prelims and Mains Exam varies. The total scores received by applicants in the prelims and mains exams will be converted into percentages for final selection. The following are the weightings for the various courses.
For B.Des & GDPD
The following table shows the weighting for the B.Des and GDPD programmes.
|NID Prelims||NID Mains||Total|
The following table shows the weighting for the M.Des programmes.
|NID Prelims||NID Mains||Total|
For PhD Course
The following table shows the weighting for the PhD programmes.
NID DAT 2023 Sample Papers
NID DAT sample papers are provided by the exam cell so that applicants may practise and understand the test pattern and marking methodology. Aspirants may improve their preparation for DAT by studying the NID DAT sample papers 2023. Applicants can determine the difficulty level of the test and the topics they should concentrate on by answering NID DAT sample papers.
The following table represents the NID DAT Sample Paper link according to the course.
NID DAT 2023 Syllabus
Aspirants should go over the entire syllabus to ensure that they do not miss any of the topics covered in the exam. In terms of the exam format, the NID DAT 2023 Syllabus is organised into three major components or sections. The exam syllabus differs depending on the exam type, and the specifics are supplied below.
- Prelims Syllabus – Design Theory, Optical Illusion, Picture Analysis, Visual Logic, Elements & Principles of Design, Memory Drawing, and other topics are covered in the prelims course.
- Mains Syllabus – Model Making, Material Manipulation, Doodling, Creative Thinking, and other topics are included in the mains syllabus.
- Fixed Syllabus – The test administrators have now established a fixed NID DAT 2023 Syllabus.
The following table of contents highlights some key topics for the NID DAT 2023.
- Optical Illusion
- Form & Function
- Developing Themes
- Design Theory
- Colour, Pattern & Texture
- Imagination & Doodling
- Innovation in Design
- Memory Drawing
- Innovation & Creation
Studio Test Syllabus – Aspirants who pass the NID DAT 2023 prelims will be required to take the studio test. The following is the studio test syllabus.
- Model Making
- How to Evolve Ideas
- Audio-Visual Exercises
- Material Manipulation
- Creative Thinking
- Hands-on Model Making
NID DAT 2023 Preparation Tips
Preparing for any admission exam can be a huge undertaking, but it all relies on how you approach it and how you look at it. Any exam will be simple to pass if you have a strong resolve. So the first thing you should do is set a goal for yourself to pass the exam (NID DAT Exam in this case). Setting your goals requires you to be prepared to meet any challenges that may arise, as well as the perseverance to not give up halfway through the preparation process.
Knowing the Topics
It is critical for applicants to prepare by going over each topic one at a time. Candidates who prepare by topic are better able to learn and remember information. This will be useful during last-minute revisions when applicants will be able to swiftly go through all of the topics.
The major issue that candidates experience when taking an exam is a lack of time to look over the entire material. This is due to a lack of time management. You must answer 100 questions from various categories of the NID DAT (depending upon the selected course).
Attend the know Questions First
Aspirants should make careful to answer the questions they are familiar with before moving on to the questions they are unfamiliar with. They will be able to achieve the exam’s minimum score in a short amount of time this way.
NID DAT 2023 Exam Centers
The NID DAT Prelims 2023 exam will be held in 21 locations across India. An applicant cannot modify the exam centre that has been assigned to them. He or she will be able to choose the exam centres when filling out the application form.
Aspirants will be given the option of selecting their preferred exam locations. As a result, they should select them wisely based on their preferences.
The NID DAT Mains Exam will be held in NID campuses around the country, including Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru, and others. The admit card will contain specific information regarding the actual location of the designated centres.
DAT Preliminary and DAT Mains are the two stages of the exam. For each step, candidates will assign exam centres. They can look at the NID DAT 2023 Exam Centers list.
NID DAT 2023 Admission Procedure
first, the respective authority Releases Online Notifications regarding NID DAT 2023 then aspirants have to complete the NID DAT Application Process. and then for a short duration, Faculty provide a Correction chance in the Application Form. after that Admit card will be released and aspirants need to appear in the NID DAT Exam.
Then the NID DAT result will declare and for final admission, Aspirants have to go through the mains or studio or interview or any two stages, according to qualification level. then attend the counselling or seat allotment process for final admission.
NID DAT 2023 Application Form
Those who meet the eligibility requirements for the NID exam 2023 should fill out the application form and submit it according to the instructions. Instructions for submitting the NID 2023 Application Form can be found here.
- The aspirants must first register on the official website.
- Aspirants can complete the NID application form 2023 both online and offline.
- In the last week of January 2023, the NID application form for the academic session 2023-23 is expected to be available.
- In the last week of February 2023, the registration procedure may close.
- After completing the registration process, fill out the application form and provide all of the requested information.
- You must also upload your photos and signature in the format and parameters specified.
- The registration fee can be paid in the form of a Demand Draft payable to the ‘All Indian Management Association in New Delhi.
- Those who choose to submit the NID application form by mail must send a printout of the completed form along with a DD to the following address.
The Project Manager-CMS
All India Management Association
Management House, 14, Institutional Area,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003, India
NID DAT 2023 Application Fee
To complete the application procedure, candidates must pay an application fee. Both online and offline payment options are available. In any circumstances, the application cost will not be reimbursed. The following table shows the fee schedule for candidates.
|Category||M.Des (Disciplines 1) (INR)||M.Des (Disciplines 2) (INR)||B.Des (INR)||PhD (INR)|
|General, General EWS, OBC-NCL||2000||4000||2000||5000|
|Gen-PwD-EWS, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC-PwD, ST-PwD||1000||2000||1000||2500|
NID DAT 2023 Application Form Correction
Applicants will have two days to evaluate and modify their information in the application, which will be open for two days.
- Aspirants cannot alter or modify sections such as eligibility criteria, date of birth, category, email address, citizenship, or the discipline used.
- If the application form is ruled ineligible for admission after altering the information in the application form, the application money will not be returned.
- If the applicants fail to give accurate information or if the information provided is false, the application form will be cancelled.
NID DAT 2023 Admit Card
The admit card is the most significant document that an applicant should have with them when they take the exam. The candidate will not allow taking the exam if he or she does not have an admit card. The admit card for the NID DAT Prelims and Mains can download from the official website.
To obtain the admission card, candidates must give information such as their registered email address, date of birth, and roll number/application form number. To avoid any discrepancies, candidates who have enrolled for the exam must bring their NID DAT 2023 Admit Card to the exam centre.
Appeared for the NID DAT 2023
NID DAT (Prelims), the initial stage of NID admissions, is a written test that includes both objective and subjective questions. The NID DAT takes three hours to complete. and then NID DAT Prelims result will be declared.
NID DAT 2023 Result
For B.Des and M.Des, the NID DAT 2023 Final Result will be announced on the specified day. For each category, a separate merit list must be generated (Open, OBC-NCL, SC, ST & PWD). Aspirants will be allowed to participate in the admissions process based on this merit list.
If two applicants have the same total score on both tests, the candidate who scored higher in Part B of the Design Aptitude Test – Prelims will be given the higher rank.
NID DAT 2023 Cut Off
The cut-off is the score that an applicant must achieve in order to pass a particular level of the exam. The NID DAT 2020 threshold is listed below. After the results are revealed in June 2023, the cut-off will be made public.
The following are the campus and category-wise cutoffs.
|NID Madhya Pardesh||88.16||NA||60.95||50.17||46.19||NE|
NID DAT 2023 Counselling
NID’s DAT 2023 counselling will take place on the Ahmedabad campus. Aspirants who pass the NID DAT 2023 prelims and mains tests will be able to participate in the in-person counselling procedure. To guarantee their seats, they must bring the original documents to the counselling location and pay the admission cost. They will be given a provisional offer of admission to NID in exchange for attending the in-person counselling session on the scheduled date.
NID DAT 2023 Participating Institutes
Those who pass the NID DAT 2023 will be considered for admission to the National Institutes of Design. Following the completion of the counselling process, candidates will be called for admission. Candidates must pay the entrance fee at the institute to which they have been assigned. The National Institute of Design has seven campuses in India, and individuals can apply for admission based on their DAT scores. The following are the locations of NID’s seven campuses and other than NID institutes which accept NID Score.
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
- IILM School of Design (IILM), Gurgaon
- National Institute of Design, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Design, Vijayawada
- Pearl Academy
- National Institute of Design, Jorhat
- National Institute of Design, Kurukshetra
- World University of Design
- National Institute of Design, Bhopal
- Shiv Nadar University
NID DAT 2023 Contact details
Candidates should inform the exam’s conducting authority if any discrepancies arise at any point during the exam. The following is the contact information for the exam authorities.
- Email Id: [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
NID 2023 Application Form Signup/Registration, filling out the application form, uploading documents and signatures, paying the application cost, and printing the application form are all phases of the online application process. The deadline to apply for NID 2023 is 22 December 2023.
The NID DAT 2023 application form was issued on October 5 on the official website admissions.nid.edu by the National Institute of Design. Candidates who meet the requirements can apply online for the NID DAT 2023. The registration fee can be paid online using net banking, credit card, or debit card.
Because of the high level of competition and difficulty, the NID Design Aptitude Test (DAT) is regarded as a difficult nut to crack. The fact that the NID DAT is usually lengthy is one of the reasons why it is regarded a difficult design test in India. The NID DAT Prelims 2023 for BDes and MDes programme admissions was held on March 14.
However, now that NID has been designated as a national institute of importance by Parliament, the college is able to give degrees, which I believe should be the case. Aside from that, NID has no negative points worth mentioning. It is a fantastic design school for learning.
At NID, there are a total of 444 places available for the BDes course and 347 seats available for the MDes course.