BArch – B.Arch is a five-year undergraduate architecture programme that combines theory and practice to give students a strong understanding of the planning, design, and construction of many types of physical structures. From concept to completion, every building project is overseen by a certified architect. Because of the current industrialization and development, work options for B.Arch graduates have increased significantly, making it a very popular and well-paid profession.
What is BArch?
Architecture, according to Cambridge, is “the art and practise of creating and constructing buildings.” It is critical for everyone interested in becoming an architect to have both intellectual and aesthetic abilities. Architects develop physical models of buildings, blueprints for construction, and other physical land or building structures.
The programme is deemed professional and comprises a five-year academic component as well as a one-year practical component. Architectural Design, Visual Arts and Basic Design, Building and Construction, Design Methodology, History of Architecture, Computer Applications, Working Drawings, and Theory of Structures are the key disciplines in the B Arch programme. Because of the increasing demand, B.Arch graduates can work as architects, urban planners, interior/set designers, and more, depending on their talents and interests.
Why Choose BArch?
A bachelor’s degree in architecture is a professional programme that offers specialisations in a variety of architectural areas. It offers a wide range of work opportunities, based on the aspirant’s skills, in practically all sectors and locations. The following are a few of the reasons:
- High Pay – The position gives a decent starting wage for new graduates and a good salary for a senior or experienced architect, making it a solid one in the economy.
- Creativity – The position does not provide everyone with a 9-to-5 job; instead, it allows them to explore diverse ideas and express themselves through design and creativity. It aids aspirants in their artistic and analytical endeavours.
BArch Course Eligibility Criteria
The B.Arch course lasts five years, and the following are the requirements for students to be admitted to B.Arch (Bachelor of Architecture):
- Candidates must have completed Class 12 or equivalent with a minimum of 50% marks in all mandatory subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics).
- Applicants must have completed a recognised university/board/Class institution’s 10+ 3-year diploma degree in any stream.
- NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture) was passed with an 80 per cent score by the Council of Architecture (CoA) Because some universities accept students who have passed alternative architectural entrance examinations, taking NATA is not required. Candidates must, however, prepare for and take this exam if they wish to enrol in India’s best B.Arch college.
BArch Courses Admission Process
To avoid further rejection, the B.Arch admissions procedure begins with the student confirming their eligibility criteria, which include having completed 12th grade and passing the required entry tests. The cut-off for them would differ depending on the college chosen, the category to which they belong, and so on.
Following the completion of the entrance examination and the announcement of the results, universities and colleges will announce their cut-offs in order to begin the admissions process. Though the admissions process differs for each college, the following are the stages that need to be followed in order to gain admission.
How to apply?
To obtain the application form, you must first visit the internet portal/offline network. After then, it must be filled. Because of covid, the only choice available right now is to go online. After that, the aspirant must upload/attach the appropriate documents in accordance with the standards and specifications. Then, if necessary, request a loan and pay the fee if approved.
The eligibility criteria of the minimum scores in the specified exams are used to make the selection. Following that, colleges may require an entrance exam. The candidate is chosen after passing those with a good score. The charge must then be paid, either with or without the loan, according to the amounts provided by the institution.
BArch Entrance Exams
Entrance Tests are required for admission to the B.Arch programme, which is evaluated on a nationwide basis. It is good for a period of two years. Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Logical Reasoning, and General Aptitude are the key courses or topics. The exams are as follows.
BArch Course Preparation Tips
A bachelor’s degree in architecture necessitates both logical and creative thinking. The same is required for the entrance tests. As a result, planning ahead of time for a year or two in any coaching centre would be beneficial. In addition, the aspirant may engage in some personal research work related to his topic of interest in architecture. To help you focus, here are some expert-recommended preparation strategies for candidates interested in pursuing a Bachelor of Architecture.
- Freehand drawing – It aids in the development of creativity and sketching abilities, which will be useful in both the admission exam and the course.
- Visualizing – Visualizing and conceptualising images in 2D and 3D, as well as putting them into drawings, is a crucial skill. It facilitates the creation of more designs.
- Skills – I’m attempting to concentrate more on sketching, analytical, and construction skills.
- Planning – Knowing the entrance exam syllabus and referring to the prior year’s question papers are both important aspects of preparation.
BArch Course Fee structure
The cost of a B.Arch programme varies depending on the college. Based on its infrastructure and facilities, a government-run institute charges between INR 1.6LPA and 2.3LPA. In a private institute, a B.Arch course costs between INR 2,00,000 and 3,50,000.
BArch Syllabus and Subjects
The B.Arch curriculum is a five-year programme that includes both practical and theoretical study over the course of ten semesters. The entire course structure is made up of subjects, which aid in the development of design thinking, creativity, and logical structure thinking. Depending on the course modules, each college’s topics and subjects may differ.
- Advanced Visual Representation
- Electrical, HVAC, Fire Safety and Building Automation
- Applied Climatology
- Introduction to Urban Design
- History of Architecture & Human Settlements – Late medieval & early modern architecture
- Lighting, Ventilation & Acoustics
- Water Supply & Sanitation
- Building Materials and Construction
BArch Higher Studies
A bachelor’s degree in architecture is a professional degree with a wide range of work possibilities. However, after completing the course, you have the option of continuing your education. Masters in Urban Design, M.Arch, M.Planning, Masters in Project Management, and a variety of other degrees are available. There’s even the possibility of pursuing a Postgraduate Diploma in Design (PGDPD).
B.Arch is a professional degree that is thought to be both creative and challenging. This course is for students who are interested in many elements of architecture.
Candidates with a Bachelor of Architecture degree have a variety of job prospects in both the public and private sectors after graduation. Aspirants can pursue postgraduate degrees such as M.Arch (Master of Architecture), MBA (Master of Business Administration), and other accredited courses to further their education in the area of architecture.
BArch Job Profiles
Aspirants are invited to apply for the following positions.
- Data Analyst
- Architecture Designer
- Architecture Engineer
- Interior Designer
- Architecture Draftsman
- Staff Consultant
- Technical Assistant
- Project Assistant Manager
- Sales/Business Development Manager
- Architectural Assistant
- Architectural Historian/Journalist
- Art Director
- Building Contractor
- Landscape Architect
BArch Top Recruiters
The following are the recruiters for all those who are completed their BArch.
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Manchanda Associates
- Architect Consultants
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Edifice Architects Pvt. Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Sahara Group
An architect’s initial compensation ranges from Rs. 4 Lac to Rs. 5 Lac per year. Your pay will rise as you gain experience in this sector. Candidates with more than 5 years of experience can expect to earn between Rs. 8 Lac and Rs. 10 Lac per year. In comparison to the government sector, the private sector pays well. Architects in the United States may expect to make roughly $95,000 per year. Your salary will also be determined by your job title, employer, location, and previous work experience.
A variety of colleges in India offer a Bachelor of Architecture programme. Because it is a type of speciality, it necessitates both practical and theoretical study in order for them to gain a thorough understanding of the course. According to the updates provided in 2021, these are India’s top ten colleges.
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee
- NIT Calicut, Kozhikode
- CEPT University Ahmedabad
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- IIEST Shibpur
- School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal
- NIT Tiruchirappalli
- School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
MSc Computer Science
B.Sc Computer Science Course details
Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication
Frequently Asked Questions
The Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch) degree is a 5-year full-time study. It is divided into ten semesters. It focuses on issues ranging from engineering, the arts, and technology to architecture as a profession.
B. Arch is the best degree to pursue if you want to start your own business in the field of home design and architecture. After completing a Bachelor’s in Architecture, students have a variety of opportunities to find a career or pursue a Masters’s degree in another country.
Bachelor of Architecture, or B. Arch as it is more often known is an undergraduate degree in architecture that takes five years to complete full-time. This course integrates theory and experience to prepare students for careers in the planning, design, and construction of various physical structures.
In comparison to B. Tech, Arch is quite difficult. B. Arch is reserved for pupils with strong physical stamina, patience, responsibility, creative thinking, and sketching abilities.
A beginning salary of INR 4 lakh to INR 5 lakh per annum might be expected. After five years of expertise, however, one can expect to earn between INR 8 lakh and INR 10 lakh per year.