Bachelor of Music (BMus) – Bachelor of music is a three-year undergraduate program. It will assist you in becoming a vocal perfectionist. Music is made up of vocal music, dance forms, and instrumental music. This program is designed for candidates who have completed their 10+2 with at least 50% marks, with preference given to aspirants from the reserved category. Admission to this program may be based on merit or on an entrance test administered by some universities and colleges.
What is a Bachelor of Music?
Bachelor of music or BMus is an undergraduate course awarded by a university upon completion of a three-year music program. This acquires and applies the knowledge of a trained and qualified team of professionals to handle various aspects of music album performance, recording, and distribution. Candidates benefit from a Bachelor of Music degree in terms of language as well as reasoning development. Candidates who take this course will have a better ability to hear and understand and will be able to discern imaginative patterns from background noise. These abilities and knowledge are taught to students through theoretical subjects as well as practical modules.
Why Choose BMus?
The following are some of the benefits of earning a Bachelor of Music degree.
- BMus syllabus is standardized, and guidance in writing, recording, and executing is provided by universities.
- Candidates with this course can participate in band or orchestra, which helps children develop insidiously.
- Bachelor of Music subjects are varied and include songwriting as well as composition, learning new instruments, and music therapy.
- The program can be used as both a hobby as well as a means of earning a living. Consistency, if pursued properly, can lead these applicants to a profession in the music industry.
Bachelor of Music Course Eligibility Criteria
The following are the requirements for obtaining a Bachelor of Music degree:
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 with a minimum score of 50%.
- Colleges and universities may hold CETs, which students must pass.
Note – Some universities have their own admissions criteria that students must meet in order to be admitted.
Bachelor of Music Admission Process
Admission to these programs in India is available through both an entrance exam and a merit-based selection process.
- Cut-off lists, as well as admission forms (including eligibility for admission), are published by colleges or universities.
- Students fill out the form based on their eligibility.
- Colleges release the names of students who have been shortlisted for admission to specific courses.
Entrance Based Admission
- CET is administered at colleges or universities (common entrance test)
- Students who are interested must sign up on a website. During registration, the candidate must choose a course.
- Students must pass these exams with the required scores in order to be admitted to good colleges and universities.
- Following the administration of the test, the cut-off list is generated in order to conduct counseling for the selected students.
- Some colleges or universities hold assignment tests in order to admit students.
- Following student counseling, final processes are assigned to allot seats to the respective student.
Bachelor of Music Entrance Exams
Entrance tests are a common and widespread way for some colleges to screen students to determine who will be admitted to the curriculum. Many well-known colleges across the country have made a name for themselves through internationally acclaimed research projects.
Bachelor of Music Top Colleges and Fee structure
The course fees are not fixed and are determined by a variety of factors. Faculty, demand, location, infrastructure & the facilities offered to aspirants are all factors that influence fees. In India, the average course fee for a Bachelor of Music is around INR 10,000 – 1 LPA.
|Name of the institutes||City||Average annual fees|
|Miranda house college||New Delhi||14,160|
|Hindu college||New Delhi||16,540|
|Indraprastha college for women||New Delhi||24,100|
|Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj university||Kanpur||28,000|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi Vishwa Vidyalaya||Bhopal||7,633|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||4,261|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||1,127|
The course curriculum is divided into six semesters that last three years. Each year is divided into two semesters. The curriculum is based on the art of music. BMus Syllabus is determined by music form.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Appreciation of music||Composition of music||Law of Acoustics|
|Khyal form of music||Classification of Ragas||Literature and Music|
|History of Indian music||Evolution of Notation||Music and Fine arts|
|Natya shastra||Forms of Music||Vocal and Instrumental|
|Ragas and tala||The religious significance of Music||Recording of music|
|Arts performance||Practical/Theater performance||Viva voce|
|Open elective 1||Open Elective 2||Practical seminar|
Higher Studies after Bachelor of Music
Under Bachelor of Music, Candidates can pursue a variety of specializations. There are also numerous higher education options available to graduate students with a Bachelor of Music degree, which can aid in their understanding. Furthermore, gaining more education can assist students in pursuing a career in research if they are interested in doing so.
- MA in Music
- M. Phil. in Music
Bachelor of Music (BMus) Scope
When you finish your bachelor’s music degree, aspirants will have a wide range of future options. The profession of music is becoming increasingly important. A bachelor’s degree in music can easily find work in or related to the field. Aspirants can look for a position in the music industry once they have finished their Bachelor’s degree in musical composition.
BMus Job Profiles
Aspirants are invited to apply for the following positions.
- Arts administrator
- Contemporary musician
- Digital music composer and performer
- Event producer
- Festival or venue manager
- Interactive music designer
- Jazz musician
- Music journalist
- Music producer
- Music researcher
- Sound installation designer
Bachelor of Music (BMus) Salary
The salary of candidates after obtaining a Bachelor of Music salary for graduates can vary depending on the role that they choose to pursue. Other factors influencing Bachelor of Music salary include experience and the industry in which they work. Graduates can boost their earnings by honing their skills. The average starting salary is around INR 5 LPA.
|Job profiles||Average annual salary|
|Music producers||INR 5|
|Band leader||INR 3|
|Sound broadcasting||INR 2|
|Lyrics writer||INR 4|
|Bachelor of Arts||Bachelor of Business Administrations|
|Bachelor of Management Studies||Bachelor of computer applications|
Frequently Asked Questions
The most popular type of music degree is the BMus (Bachelor of Music). These kinds of degree courses are almost exclusively available in university music departments. Students pursuing this degree can expect to focus on performance, composition, and theory.
Bachelor’s degree programs in music typically take 3 years to complete.
This will be simpler the more knowledge you have. The major will be challenging if you haven’t studied music theory, history, or composition. Students must comprehend the complexity of the area because this is a university-level degree.
We won’t lie to you; pursuing a music major requires a lot of effort. But because it’s so fulfilling, it’s the finest type of hard labor! We wanted to teach you six things to anticipate as a music major and how you may be ready for them since sometimes all we need is a little preparation to succeed.
Yes, for the majority of aspiring artists, a music degree is worthwhile. Degrees in music are necessary for both becoming well-rounded artists and finding jobs in the music business.